Greetings, Middle Earth Lovers; because we SHARE the passion!
In the past months, we had a few isolated incidents concerning group rules, even when they are displayed for all to read on the front page. Therefore, we have decided to dedicate this entire newsletter to the detailed explanation of each rule for the benefit of all our current and future members and affiliates. Please notice that joining us or submitting to our group automatically makes you subject to our rules, so we ask of you to read each item carefully and reply on this journal that you have read and understood. Ignorance of rules will not exempt you from the corresponding action that applies to each. If questions arise, DO NOT debate on this journal. Send us a note instead and we will clarify your doubts with the respect you deserve.
Middle Earth Lovers welcomes everybody.
Please Read our rules before you join, and then decide if this group is for you.
Submit your arts to the right folders.
Individual folders have been created for each category and submitting to the right ones helps us bigly because we get endless submissions weekly.
- Each folder has a detailed description of what's allowed in it and what isn't.
- Maximum of submissions per day is 3. It will allow us to evaluate and approve faster.
- In the event that an artwork is submitted to the wrong folder, we will decline it and ask you to resubmit to the right one. Do not panic if this happens because we will guide you through the process with the respect you deserve.
- If after reading all the categories, you are still unsure which fits your artwork best, submit to "Unsorted".
- If your category does not exist in our gallery folders, and it has potential according to our guidelines below, send us a note and we will add one when we get enough works for that category.
- Folder categories might be subject to changes as we see fit, and such changes will be announced on the corresponding monthly newsletter.
Slash, Durincest, Thilbo or any other gay pairings with Tolkien characters are strictly forbidden.
Given the fact that we have received endless gay submissions of explicit sexual intercourse involving incest and rape, we have made a conscious decision to not accept any gay pairings at all. This stops being art to become pornography. Besides, there was no gay pairings in the Tolkien works, so we will not have them in our group either. On that note, this rule also extends to all kinds of material that offends sensibilities, both written and illustrated, such as (but not limited to):
- Explicit and pornographic content, either gay, or straight (For a list of pornographic offenses, refer to this DeviantArt FAQ)
- Any form of bondage
- Racial slurs
- Works that promote hate
- Religious blasphemies
- Slander to other artists
Only submit artworks that are related to the Tolkien books or movies.
This means no artworks about the actors or other movies. They must be IN Tolkien characters for us to accept.
- This is not a group for general fantasy creatures. Your goblins, dragons, dwarves, elves, etc. MUST be part of Tolkien’s works and not of other universes for us to accept them. Example: Tolkien styled elf is ok. Zelda elf is NOT ok.
- Original characters (OC) that are inspired in Middle Earth.
- Pictures of you with actors of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings cast.
- Autographs of the cast actors described above.
- Funny crossovers.
- X Reader segments WITH Tolkien Characters.
Mature contents are allowed with the proper labels.
Certain restrictions apply to this rule and they are as follow:
- Mature literature must be written in a tasteful way. This means make your sexual descriptions poetic, not explicit or pornographic (For a list of pornographic offenses, refer to this DeviantArt FAQ).
- Mature illustrations are subject to these restrictions as well. Example: Romantic couples naked kissing is ok. More explicit than that is NOT ok.
- We have a special category for Artistic Nudes of Middle Earth. But the subject in the illustration must be just nude and alone, and not engaged in pornographic actions. OC's don't fit this category. (Please refer to this DeviantArt FAQ).
- Blood and Gore falls under the Mature category, so label it properly.
- Again No gay pairings. There was none in the Tolkien works, and just because it is written doesn't mean you can get away with it.
- No bondage. This is Tolkien, not Fifty shades of Gray.
- No curse words. Only exception to this rule will be the existing Khuzdul or Sindarin insults in the Tolkien works and movies. But outside of that, names of private parts, fbombs, etc. will be declined.
Make sure to submit your best works only.
This means no line papers or doodles because they represent you poorly, and could cause you to not be taken seriously by possible employers.
- Your artwork can be any style as long as it is fully finished. This means no works in progress (WIP).
- All artistic levels are welcomed, from beginner to professional. Middle Earth Lovers provides the space for you to practice your skills in a safe environment.
We do not support art theft. This rule is also extended to the following items:
- Do not submit someone else's art to the group. Requesting artworks from other artists to submit to the group is for us Moderators to decide because this feature has been exploited by rule benders in the past. Any submission that is not of your own gallery will be declined.
- Credit the stocks you use in your works and make sure they are not subject to the copyright laws, or that you have written consent for its use.
- Do not use someone else's character in your works without their written consent. This is also considered as art theft.
Respect and common sense are a must.
Be kind with your comments or risk being removed. And we will explain this rule further in benefit of both sides of the coin:
- No debates or arguments. If you have the need to yell at someone, take it to personal notes because the rest of us don't need to see it.
- Mutual teasing from one friend to another must be clarified in your comments because there is no way to tell friendly teasing from heated argument in written form.
- Do not argue with the moderators. Just like you, we also deserve respect. If you are asked to stop certain behavior, just do it. Only one warning will be issued in this matter.
- Do not advertise your artwork in someone else's artwork comment field. This practice is very disgusting and disrespectful. People expect to see comments about their artworks, not selfish advertisement competition. It is not nice and it is very immature to say the least. That's what journals and personal messages are for.
- Artists that like to request critique (IMPORTANT): Please be absolutely positive that you can take what comes before requesting such. Middle Earth Lovers will not be responsible for any emotional scars resulting of a tough critique.
- Critique givers (IMPORTANT): Do not use the above as an excuse to exploit the critique feature. Make sure you limit yourselves to the work in question. This means you give positive or negative feedback about the artwork and NOT about the artist. Any kind of insult, even if done via the critique feature counts as rudeness.
Middle Earth Lovers reserves the right to accept or deny any artwork, as well as remove any member that doesn't adhere to the rules without prior notice.